April 17, 2014

16 months

Another month, another monthly update. I feel like time flies so fast and when I've just written about one month, we are closing in on another. Here is more of what we have been up to at 16 Months!
 Sixteen months has been a really really fun age so far! We've had our share of ups and downs (we are at an age where Logan is showing us very distinct likes and dislikes and hitting a few tantrums) but I can look back and confidently say that things just keep getting better and better! The other day I ran a few errands while he was napping. When I got home he looked at me in the doorway, yelled 'Mama' and came running over to me- so so cute and I think my heart almost exploded out of my body.

Let's talk about teeth (probably the most talked about topic of new moms after sleep issues)!
I'm pretty sure that we are finally getting a break from teething. Logan got his first two teeth at 4 months and they haven't stopped coming in since then. I think all the molars have finally broken through and we have ALL teeth besides the 2 year molars. Really, really dreading those suckers! 

Middle of this past month, Logan got hit with a little cold. Stuffy, runny nose and a slight cough had us a really off our normal routine.
That week of sickness changed his eating habits, he didn't eat or drink much at all. More than once he refused whole cups of milk and I was a little worried that he wasn't getting enough to sustain all the running around he does. The breaking point was when I made pancakes (his favorite breakfast meal) and he refused to eat them- throwing half on the floor and placing the rest on his head.
I tried to have faith that he would eat/drink more when he felt better and didn't make a big deal out of it. Boy was I right. Since he has felt better, his appetite has been ginormous! The other day he ate all of dinner, had fruit for desert, drank all of his milk and then got into the diaper bag, pulled out his snack cup and walked around the first floor eating cheerios!

He is also getting much much better using his spoon and fork. I give them to him anytime we have a meal where we use them- so that way he can imitate how we eat and practice. I have been very laid back about letting him explore and use them at will. I've only shown him how to hold them correctly a few times because at times he is fiercely independent and wants to do things for himself. So far, so good... it's been messy and a lot more laundry but I love how excited he gets when he gets a spoonful of food in his mouth all by himself.
He had also been sleeping more this second half of the month. There have been a few days where he slept 12 hours at night and took almost a 4 hour nap in the middle of the day. It's insane. A few days I felt like I hardly saw him much at all outside of eating, bath time and errands. I always feel conflicted when he sleeps really late. I hate to wake him up just to go a gym class or run an errand but I also try and keep him on schedule.
What do other moms do? Keep them sleeping and figure they need the extra sleep or wake them up to keep on a schedule? 
I'm assuming that this is a growth spurt since suddenly a few tops and bottoms have become a bit snug and a little too short! ;)
We've been laughing a lot watching Logan imitate us this past month. When Geoff's mom was here he would watch her and then dunk his crackers in his "coffee" (aka the air), just like she was doing. He will join in if people are singing but my favorite is the jumping. If we jump, he will jump and a few times he has gotten off the ground and a little bit of air. This is always followed by lots of laughter. I've caught him "jumping" in his crib and also on the couch... not good. We are currently feeling out the way we want to re-direct and discipline actions that just aren't safe.
He is also quickly learning body parts and will point to his nose, head, belly and toes all the time.
He likes to hike up his pants and show off his legs and he laughs when he does the same to Geoff and touches his leg hair.

Logan is a pretty social little guy. He loves performing for everyone and gets so silly when people are watching him. That said, he can also be very shy and it takes him a few minutes to warm up to a new setting. He instantly relaxes when his little friends are around and he wont hesitate to walk over and give them hugs and kisses. He hugs all the time and will crawl over and sit in my friends laps when we are together.
This came in handy when we snuck away for a date night- heading down to Boston to watch the Celtics game. My friend Laura came over to hang out with Logan and put him down for the night. She said he was great for her and we got to enjoy ourselves knowing that he was with someone familar!
We still are going through a little bit of seperation anxiety, he still will cry out when he hears other babies/toddlers start to cry and he has gotten scared of another kid on more than one occasion. We were at Barnes and Nobles at their train table in the kids section when another kid came right up to him and smacked him in the face. It was his way of saying hello but you can bet that it didn't go over well with our little guy. He is definitely not a rough and tough kid just yet. He gave us his sad cry face and I thought the Papa Bear was going to come out of Geoff... fiercely protective father. The other kids parents handled the whole situation really well and everyone left happy.
One last things is our evening routine. Logan now knows when we are upstairs and nearing bed time. We will sit and read a few books together and we always read the same book last each night. When we now get to the "Bed book" he shakes his head and will not turn the pages but close the book or throw it on the floor. Luckily we both know it by heart so I still "read" it to him and off we go to brush our teeth. I love the ways his personality are really shining through. 

Favorite toys- Balls, Whittle World People, anything outside, grabbing the phone and carrying it around when we facetime with Geoff! 
Likes- Eating, Running around, Playground, Going on walks, Pointing at cars and dogs ("dah"), seeing his friends, reading books and tackling his giant Panda before bed.

Dislikes- Getting strapped into his car seat (again), not being able to go outside when we open the door, diaper changes, nose wipes and most recently getting a bath...

Favorite new food- Cupcakes. He has been going nuts over these at our friends Birthday parties! One more this weekend!!!


No comments: