May 8, 2013

Baby Merlin's Magic Sleepsuit

The time had come to ditch the Swaddle. I am not going to lie... I was scared! Logan had been sleeping so well- getting up usually once during the night (around 3am for a quick meal and right back down to sleep). We were in a groove and it was working well. I was not ready for a change.
However, he was rolling more and breaking out of his swaddle nightly. Even though we have the Angelcare monitor, I didn't like the thought of extra fabric that could cover his face. (Plus, my baby still looked like a newborn all swaddled up nice and tight... sniff, sniff)

A friend of ours had recently told us about Baby Merlin's Magic Sleepsuit
and how well it was working for them post-swaddle. I went right home and googled it to see what it was about.
The Magic Sleepsuit was designed by Maureen a mother of four and a pediatric physical therapist, who was having troubles with her babies sleeping well in their crib. The sleepsuit is designed to help make the transition from the swaddle by providing babies a cozy and secure feeling by muffling their reflexive startles. (Check out the moro reflex for more information.)

When ours came in the mail we opened it right away to check it out!
They have 3 color choices- blue, pink and yellow and I was very happy to have a yellow one since we have tried to keep most of our baby things (besides clothes) gender neutral.

The first night we decided to use it, we were so nervous of how the night was going to go. We did our normal bedtime routine and then zipped him up in his new suit. He looked so cute, like he was ready to roll around in the snow. I nursed him, laid him down in the crib on his back, whispered 'I love you' and tip toed out of the room. 11 and 1/2 hours later he woke up. Whhhhhat!!!!

We have used the sleepsuit for about 3 weeks now and I can say that his sleep is right on where he was in the swaddle. This was pretty much a seamless transition for us. I tracked his sleep on my iphone app (which I had stopped doing) just to make sure I could remember both the bad and good nights.

We hit a rough couple of days where Logan started waking up twice at night, which even though it is still good for his age- is not normal for us. The third night, Geoff wanted to try the swaddle again to see what would happen. He was still up twice and arms were out in no time. Call it the 4 month wakeful, a wonder week, teething or a full moon but I'm glad it only lasted a few days.
(See he already knows Sleepsuit= Sleep. haha)
Most of our naps are either still in the swing or on the go (car seat, stroller or carrier) but I've been working on moving one nap into the crib. Mostly so I can workout without having to tiptoe around not to wake the baby. I've been using a combo of the Sleepsuit and our crib mobile to aid in his naps. Most days he goes anywhere from 45 minutes to around an hour. This is an improvement since crib naps use to only last around 20-25 minutes. 

Babies at this age are not supposed to have any blankets in the crib with them (SIDS) so the sleepsuit not only keeps them cozy but also warm. The warmth is supposed to aid them in staying asleep- once they are put down in the crib and not snuggled in close to mom or dad. It has open feet and hands so that the baby doesn't get too hot, or if it's too cold, you can just add socks or mittens. It's also fluffy enough that I don't worry about him rolling over and getting stuck just yet, like I did with the swaddle (since rolling is so fun for him now). It's easily washable and can be dried on the low setting just in case of any accidents.
The only complaint I have is that it does make is a little harder to nurse on the boppy before bed since he is so fluffy. :)

I have to say that I would completely recommend the Magic Sleepsuit to anyone whose baby loves the swaddle but is quickly outgrowing it. There are two sizes 3-6 months and 6-9 months, so you can keep your baby all snuggled up for the majority of his first year.

You can learn more about Merlin's Magic Sleepsuit here.
You can also find Merlin's Magic Sleepsuit on Facebook!

*This product was received for review, no other compensation was provided. All views expressed are honest and my own! :)


5 comments:

Brittney said...

Wow, I need this! This might be the answer to getting Allie to sleep in the crib. I feel like she rolls too much when swaddled and flails around if she's not swaddled. This is a great a idea! I am going to look for one online now!

Anonymous said...

what size sleep suit is in this pic? how big is the baby?

Fly The Friendly Skies said...

This is the small sleepsuit. It is for babies 3-6 months or 12-18 lbs. There is a larger one also available (which we did not use). We starting using our small around 4 months.

Anonymous said...

Isn't the sleep suit too hot for summer weather?

Fly The Friendly Skies said...

We found that it was not too hot for summer weather in our apartment. I think it would depend on how hot or cool your house runs, if your baby tends to sweat a lot (which ours does not) and how comfortable you feel about it. The sleepsuit is designed to breathe and we never had a problem with it. Hope that helps!