July 28, 2010

Serendipity- NYC


So back in 2005, my friends Courtney, Anne and I wanted to try the Frozen Hot Chocolate in Serendipity (Yup, like in the movie Serendipity- don't hate, I am a closet John Cusack fan). The wait then was 3 hours. 3 hours??? We couldn't do it, it was January, cold and we had more touristy things to do and see. Fast forward to July 2010. Geoff and I spend the afternoon in Central Park and decided to give it a go. We arrived and were told the wait was 1.5 hours. We were hungry so we ran across the street for some NYC pizza (apparently cooking pizza in a coal oven is the NYC way). After we finished, we walked right back across the street and got right in for desert.


Serendipity could be called a tourist trap. Long waits, $8.50 per person minimum and a small and cramped inside.

The menu is huge but we were only there for the desert (I've read mixed reviews on the food). The special is the Frozen Hot Chocolate and let me say that I personally thought it was worth the wait. We also ordered the Trader Wic’s: pineapple coconut which was also really tasty and was a great balance to all the chocolate in the other.

While I think close to $20 is a lot for desert, this is NYC and it was fun to finally get this tourist stop checked off my list. We were pretty happy to end the hot day with some cold yummy drinks!


4 comments:

Sherri said...

Thanks, I need to add that to my list of things to see in NY.

SkyWaitress said...

So fun! Joel and I just watched that movie the other day. I would love to visit that shop someday. Looks really yummy.

Brian said...

John Cusack is great. You have seen High Fidelity, haven't you?!?! I'm man enough to admit that I liked Serendipity. Kate Beckinsale may have had something to do with that. :) The frozen hot chocolate sounds great, and I may have to give that a try sometime.

For another great pizza/desert experience, have pizza at Lombardi's (corner of Spring & Mott) then walk across the street to Rice to Riches, for some great rice pudding!

Brittney said...

I love Serendipity- the movie and the frozen hot chocolate. Both were great :)