July 10, 2014

Playdate snacks

I hate to admit this... but Logan's social calendar is way more packed than mine is this summer. Lucky for me, I love all of his friends moms that we hang out with! I've met some really great people up here in NH and I feel really blessed to have made friends with people I actually have a lot in common with besides just being a mom. It's really made this place feel like home to me now!

Anyways, our weekly play dates rotate houses and snack duty! Maybe it's because I have (usually) a good eater with no food allergies but when it comes time for me to host... I always have a hard time figuring out what to make for everyone.

If you know me in real life, you would probably know that I love love love baking muffins and breads. Banana bread in the summer and pumpkin in the fall are my two favorite.

This week I decided to test out Emily's Blueberry Greek Yogurt Banana Bread.

I made a few changes and baked them into mini muffins- prefect for little hands on the go.
Paired with some sweet, cold watermelon and probably some pirates booty, you have a delicious snack for everyone.

Blueberry Greek Yogurt Banana Muffins
Ingredients:
  • 1.5 cups all-purpose flour *(I used half whole wheat, half all purpose)
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup organic cane sugar *(omitted this to keep the sugar down for the kids)
  • 2 large ripe bananas
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
  • 1 cup fresh blueberries
Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Start by combining flour, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl. 
In a separate bowl, mash bananas with a fork until they are gooey and liquid-like. Add eggs, sugars, and vanilla and a dollop of Greek yogurt!
Whisk until everything is well combined and there are no lumps.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and mix until just combined.  At this point, fold in the fresh (or frozen) blueberries!
Pour batter into a greased loaf pan and distribute evenly.
Pop into the oven and bake for one hour,*(this is for bread, less time is needed for muffins) or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.  



I made my mini muffins in my new pan the Grazia Silicone Mini Muffin Pan.
I wasn't sure of the timing to bake them so I started at 10 minutes and checked them every few until the were done. Took about 20 minutes for this batch.
The pan is so easy to pop the muffins out of and also to clean... I love it. The only downside was it's a little flimsy so getting it in and out of the oven  without spilling was a little tricky. Next time I will place it on a cookie sheet to keep it level. :)
I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

The great thing about these muffins since they are so small is that they pack really well. We've taken them to the park and pool with no problems!!! I am absolutely loving our summer activities. 

Have any tried and true, toddler approved recipes I can add to my collection for our next playdate???

No comments: