May 20, 2014

Vega Sport Review- Preworkout

The first year of Logan's life I was tiiiired and understandably so. I had broken sleep, was breastfeeding and taking care of a helpless little baby who really needed me for everything. Once Logan started to sleep through the night, I still felt drained and not myself most days. Coffee was overflowing and I slugged through my workouts. It wasn't until we passed a year and we weaned Logan onto whole milk that I started to feel a bit more like myself.
 It was around that time that I started to get serious about getting into better shape again. I wanted to lift heavy and run faster... to feel more like the old me. Before heading to the gym, I was using Advocare's Spark to give me a little boost of energy. However, after being so conscious of what I was putting into my body throughout pregnancy and breastfeeding, I was a little concerned with all the unknown ingredients in my daily drinks.
Being a Sweat Pink Ambassador, I was given the opportunity to try out and review a Pre-Workout Energizer by Vega Sport as a part of their Fuel Your Better campaign.
I was given their Pre-Workout Energizer in acai berry, which also comes in lemon-lime. It is plant based, dairy free, gluten free, soy free and contains no artificial flavors, colors or sweeteners. Much different than the Spark I was drinking before. ;) It was formulated by Brendan Brazier who is a vegan Ironman triathlete.
Pretty much you just mix a packet with a cup of water and drink about 20 minutes before you workout- easy peasy! I found that the taste was not the greatest but I loved the extra energy I felt while hitting the gym and knowing there are no crazy ingredients floating around my body. I was able to get through a tough Body Pump class and keep up with my husband when we lifted weights together two days later. No yawning or mid-workout slumps over here. I don't think that this is necessary to take everyday before an easier workout but it is wonderful if you are feeling a little weak or have a bigger workout on the books. (We took a few personal trainer based classes at the gym which include TRX and have a more 'Crossfit like' approach and this would have definitely helped on those days. Holy Moly were those classes intense but amazing).
I definitely will be checking out the lemon-lime flavor to see if I like the taste a bit better. Overall, I was really happy with this and will be looking forward to checking out other VegaSport products (mainly the gels for when I start running more frequently again...)

No comments: