March 20, 2014

No!

Well... I knew it was coming. The word No. We have mastered it over here at our household. It normally sounds more like a na, na, na, na.... repeated as my little wiggly worm tried to shift himself out of my arms. He also has started yelling "Mamaaaaaaaaaa" when someone is trying to get him to do something he doesn't want to. Most often we hear these words when it is time for a diaper change. Stacking, sorting and running around in circles is way more fun that laying still for a few minutes- so I get it.

This morning took everything to a new level.
We were sitting on the couch, Logan drinking his milk after he woke up. He slept an epic 14.5 hours so I know he was not still tired or cranky. (I'm chalking that up to 15 month growth spurt!) When he is finished with food, drinks and toys Logan likes to toss them on the floor... a game that is pretty much worn out at this point. With all the tossing, he is getting stronger and pretty good at now launching things a few feet away. He tossed the sippy down and then grabbed a play set of keys and launched them, flying behind us and hitting the computer desk.

Now, I'm still a little in shock that we are already at the stage where I have a toddler that I have to teach and discipline. I am currently reading Secrets of the Baby Whisperer for Toddlers as fast as I can to get some ideas on what I need to be doing. I have been trying to watch how often and what I say "no" to and instead redirecting and stating what I would like him to do for most offenses. This however, was a different story. A stern "No" came right out of my mouth and Logan just sat there silently looking at my face. I was able to keep my game face on and the next thing I know, he is head down in the couch crying.

Did he just understand that he did something wrong? Or was it just the tone in my voice? Either way, I realized once more this morning, that parenting is not for the faint of heart and we are only touching the surface of what's to come!

No comments: