February 9, 2014

Workouts and Yoga!

Disclosure: I got this product as part of an advertorial.


As one of my Resolutions for the new year, I said I wanted to incorporate more Yoga into my life again. January has come and gone and that resolution is still words hanging in the air. Oops.

I have been hitting the gym a lot lately.
I've been trying new and old classes again with different instructors. Most of the time I am a little limited on when I can go (aka during the day care hours) so there are still a few I haven't hit.
I've done Body Pump (love), Boxing Bootcamp (insane), Pilates, Spinning, Abs class...

Other days when I don't hit up a class, I lift weights with Geoff (following some suggestions from bodybuilders.com) and I've recently felt like running again, so I've done a few miles here and there.

Mixing it up so much has done wonders for my mood, my motivation and I get really excited for each day I have gym time scheduled in. I like to keep our days full but not too packed as to overwhelm Logan so we go about 3-4 days a week right now. Even though we would love to go in the mornings, our mornings are filled with fun activities or play dates for Logan... so we are hitting the gym in the early evening hours. At least we are going.

I was recently able to test out a yoga DVD -Yoga Sweat by Julie Schoen and jumped at the chance, hoping that this would be the kick in my pants to get my downward dog on.
On days I don't make it to the gym, I try and do a video at home or a short workout of squats, burpees, planks, etc. My go to DVD's are Jillian Michaels and Insanity- so you can tell from those, I like movement and things to be a faster pace so I don't get bored.

The Yoga Sweat DVD  is 80 minutes of Yoga- it has two 30 minute workouts and a warm up and cool down that are 10 minutes each.

Yesterday after chasing Logan around and putting him down for a nap, I popped in the DVD and tried out workout one and cool down.
Today I went with the warm up and Workout two.

Workout one was great. Workout two was hard!!! I loved both the warm up and cool down and can see myself adding both onto one of the workout as time allows.  I felt challenged by both the workouts and engaged the whole time. My body felt great afterwards with all the stretching. It made me fully aware of how wonderful I feel after yoga and why I want to get back into it more often.

The DVD was easy to follow but also moved at a fast pace. Julie did a great job at talking me through the poses the whole time and I never felt lost in the workout. 

One the box, this DVD says "Powerful and Fun Yoga for Weight loss and Beginners!"
It also say "Burn Calories, Tone Total Body and Increase Flexibility with Invigorating and Playful Yoga Workouts".

I would have to agree with everything. I would like to point out that even though it says for beginners, I would not recommend this DVD for anyone that doesn't have a small understanding of basic poses. This is a quick moving workout and I could imagine someone could get lost and frustrated easily. I've done a limited amount of yoga but I felt really comfortable with this workout since I have taken classes, I know what the correct form of the moves should feel like.

I really enjoyed this video and I honestly already put it with my DVD's that are in rotation for me. It's a great workout for a recovery day or a day when I'm burnt out and need to take it easy. I find yoga can calm my mind while engaging my body- leaving me feeling very refreshed.

Logan loves yoga too! He is perfecting his downward dog.  Haha.
Let me know if you decide to check out this DVD and what you think of it, OR if you have any favorites that I need to check out! 

*I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.*

No comments: