December 19, 2013

Getting in the Christmas spirit

it does not look like this....
We tried to meet Santa... Logan was not into it. Maybe next year.

Ever since Thanksgiving, I feel like the whole world has been in a tailspin to get ready for Christmas. Add two birthdays into the mix (Logan and myself) and our family feels like the end of the year is in a fast forward. I've been trying to come up with a few Christmas activities that we can start this year and add more as our kid grows (and hopefully our family as well). I didn't want to go too overboard since Logan is still so young (and with Pinterest around, it is easy to go overboard). I like the idea of getting an advent calendar and filling it with something to do each day instead of toys or candy and on the other hand, I'm not sure if I'm ever going to embrace the Elf on the Shelf craze. Might not be my jive, however I do love seeing the fun photos that my friends have come up with.

Here are a few of my ideas... Let me know if you have any fun ones I should add.

-Grab a Hot Chocolate and drive around to look at Christmas lights and say Hello to Santa!
(Our Santa sits outside most nights with Mrs. Claus down the road from one of those houses with lights set to music!)

-Bake and decorate Christmas cookies (this includes cookies for Santa on Christmas Eve)

-Put on Christmas jams and Decorate the tree (hopefully next year I will have made a felt tree as well)

-Get dressed up and take photos in front of the Christmas tree.

-Go to see a festive movie or watch one at home with popcorn (better if it's covered in chocolate).

-Pick out a new Christmas book at the bookstore
(I would eventually like to have a nice collection where we can read one each night... )

-Pick out toys to donate to a family in need.

-Make Christmas ornaments and crafts

-Christmas Eve, open one gift, a new ornament for kids to put on the tree.

-On Christmas morning we open the stockings, have breakfast and then open the gifts under the tree.
(This is one I grew up with- used to hate but now love- and will hopefully be continuing with it)

Nothing too revolutionary but just some ideas I had. There is a lot of talk around the holidays about family traditions and I am trying to install a few into our little family. I can only hope my kids grow up to love this time of year as much as I do!

What is your favorite activity to do around the holidays?

No comments: