November 5, 2012

Fall festivities- Apple picking

We have had some amazing fall weather before Sandy came through the Northeast. Geoff and I decided to take advantage one day and pick some apples before the season was over. We headed over to Hollis, NH to check out Brookdale Farms where they have a ton of apple varieties available throughout the fall.  There were Cortland, Red and Golden Delicious and Mutsu available for us.


We decided that we had to have half a bushel of apples to get the most out of our money, even though that is a lot of apples for just two people. (Plus- I have been on a BIG apple kick as one of my cravings. Good timing.) So we picked, picked and picked in the beautiful afternoon sun. It's actually a really cool thing to pick the food that you are going to eat right from the source. We used to go Strawberry picking in Ohio when I was little and I remember it being some work but a lot of fun. 








I can't wait until next year when we can bring out little boy to experience this with us. With all the apples, we have had a lot of cooking and baking going on in the house.
Here is what we have been making...

Crockpot Applesauce

Apple pie

Caramel Apple Muffins

Quinoa & Apple Stuffed Acorn Squash

Overnight Slow Cooker Apple Cinnamon Steel Cut Oats
Do you have any favorite apple inspired recipes that I should add to my list?

No comments: