July 11, 2009

Here we go... running again.

For those of you who remember, I ran the Flying Pig Half Marathon (Cincinnati, OH) back in May and looooved it. Sore legs and all... and boy were they sore!

I have officially started training for my second half marathon in October...


Training is the hard part... it is very easy to neglect going for a run or heading to the gym and just relax or socialize instead.
Last time it was pretty easy since I was only flying on the weekends because of school... this time I can already tell it is going to be a hard struggle to get in all my runs.

My last 4 day trip was the kickoff to my training and after 3 back to back to back 13 hour duty days I can tell you honestly that it did not go so well!

I guess time will tell.

I've also been working on fine tuning my diet. I tend to eat pretty healthy, while I know I can vastly improve, it is hardddd to eat good on the road... I have battled a weak stomach for pretty much all my life so I know when I have done good and when I have bad days.

To all my Flight Attendant blogger friends... what are your tricks? What keeps you healthy and full while on the road?

6 comments:

Mrs EyeCanSee said...

Good luck Mega!! I'm just bummed the Cbus half marathon doesn't make it to my house. IF you buck up and run the whole thing I will cheer from my window as you run by. HAHA!

LiPeony said...

hmm I'm not a flight attendant so unnno.... I tend to eat a lot of yogurt the ones with the real fruit and it keeps me satisfied between cravings.... never ran a marathon before but I have walked at the AIDS walk... that was 5 hours of great walking and Jump Rope for Heart... where you basically jump rope for a certain amount of time... the longer you jump the more money you raise for Cardiovascular Research... keep on training =D

Fly The Friendly Skies said...

Hahaha, thanks Em- IF I do upgrade to the full I will let you know... maybe i can come in and have a drink or some shots so i cant feel how awful my legs would be hurting. ;)

Meekiyu- I loooove yogurt! I always pack it for breakfast with some fruit. I have to always switch up what kinds I have in my bag otherwise I will get so sick of them.
The Jump Rope for Heart sounds like so much fun!!!

Colleen Malia Wilcox said...

This is unrelated to this post, but I've always wondered if flight attendants ever get scared flying? I'm pretty much over my fear, but back in the day I would have anxiety attacks! The crew was always so stoic and calm even in rough weather!

Cate S. said...

Yogurt...it keeps well unrefrigerated, and if you want it cold, just stick it in the ice drawer. Cucumbers keep for 4 days and are yummy. Peaches and avocados are also indestructible in the tote bag. :) It's easier if you can carry a lunchbox. I eat a lot of peanut butter on the road. Good luck running your half marathon!

Fly The Friendly Skies said...

Hey Colleen!

I can say honestly that I have not really been nervous on the plane ever. Not during turbulence, as long as i can get to my seat and strap in (no need to be bounced all around the plane). The worst situations i have had were people passing out and a really loud noise coming from the door.

I flew a lot before working as a flight attendant and don't ever really remember being scared either... who knows why!