November 20, 2007

My first snowfall of winter

This morning I woke up, rolled out of bed, walked over to the curtains and threw them open. Instead of looking out my window at home to the parking lot below, I looked out into the city of Manchester NH and saw snow falling steadily down.
I was supposed to be off today, sleeping in- in my own bed and cooking myself breakfast with a large cup of coffee... I flew yesterday from Louisville to Atlanta. I deplaned and said goodbye to my crew and headed on over to my gate to deadhead home to Cincinnati. I had just arrived to the gate to get my boarding pass when I head a startling and unwanted message over the speakers of the whole Atlanta airport...
"Would Comair Flight Attendant Megan Brown please return to gate D35, your plane is ready to board..." (that might not have been exactly it, but it was sure close). Seriously? Did I just start flying out of JFK again? I should of known that the day I think I am going, packed for 2 days, without a winter coat that they would switch me all around and send me up to snow. So here I am for another 2 hours before I get to head back to the airport and fly home.

Tomorrow I am going shopping for a new winter coat!




I was reading USA Today and there was a response to article about Fatique in pilots and this was Charles response to it, which I enjoyed!

"USA Today's article "Fatigue key to mistakes among pilots" offers a sanitized description of the fatigue problem in the airline industry.
USA Today didn't mention the plight of flight attendants. It seems that many travelers think that flight attendants arent as important as pilots, air traffic controllers or other airline industry employees.
As we aproach the holiday season, I would like to remind the traveling public that in the event of a non-catastrophic aviation accident, it will be the flight attendants- not the pilots or air traffic controllers- who will have the responsibility to save passengers lives.
Flight attendants routinely work up to 20-hour days as allowed by the Federal Aviaton Administration. This is four more hours than pilots are required to work. Also, try and imagine what its like to adjust to four more time zones every day.
Perhaps it's time for the traveling public to stop complaining that they didn't get enough peanuts and start fighting on behalf of tired flight attendants and crew members who take care of them."
-Charles J. Martin
Flight Attendant
Gainsville, FL

No comments: