January 11, 2014

Cows milk and Toddler meals

This first week and a half of the new year, I have been trying my best to unplug a little more and just be. We have mom's group on Fridays followed by a long afternoon nap. I had plans to hit the gym after Logan woke up and had lunch but he is teething those molars (and pretty miserable) so instead, I put my phone aside and we played. The majority of the evening was spent upstairs chasing Logan from room to room. It was so much fun to see him so happy to have my undivided attention. I am really trying to be better about putting my phone/camera/and thoughts aside to be there for my son.

We have finally drank all of the breastmilk I had stashed in the freezer. We transitioned to whole milk at one year and were giving a 50/50 mix until we ran out. We are now exclusively on cows milk. So far, sippy/straw cups have been a complete miss. I had sterilized the pump and all the bottles, putting them away until we need them again. I swore that we could transition straight to milk through a sippy or straw cup. Wrong, I turned around and brought the bottles back down to the kitchen. As of now, we are feeding WARMED milk out of bottled 3 times a day.

Anyone have any advice for me on cups they loved or ways they got their kids to drink cold milk?

Right now our day looks loosely like this....

Wake up
Bottle of warmed milk, 5-7oz (usually somewhere between 7:30-8:30)
breakfast
playtime or morning outing.
Nap 1
wake up, bottle of warmed milk (5oz)
lunch
afternoon outing
Nap 2 (unless nap one was really long... sometimes Logan takes a 3 hr nap in the morning)
Play
Dinner
Bath
Bottle of warmed milk (5-7oz)
Brush teeth and bed time routine. Sleep between 7:30-8:30pm.

 As for meals, this kid is a beast. He eats as much as I eat, seriously. I know he may go through a picky stage soon, so I've been trying to load him up on lots of veggies, fruits and quality foods. He has a ton of teeth so chewing is a breeze and he can handle most foods.

Tonight we made veggie nuggets which were a big hit!

One bag (16oz) frozen brocolli (thawed)
3 eggs
1.5 cups shredded cheese
1 cup bread crumbs
2 tsp garlic powder

Broccoli in food processor. Add eggs, cheese, bread crumbs and spices to broccoli. Form into patties and bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees F.

He also loves chicken nuggets, grilled cheese, pancakes, eggos, pretty much all fruits, muffins, eggplant, penne pasta with sauce, cheese, yogurt, peanut butter, cheerios. We also make mac and cheese and add in veggies into the cheese (butternut squash, carrots and sweet potato work really well.)

Do you have any toddler meals that your kids just loved??? I would a few more ideas to try when I'm exhausted and don't have it in me to be creative.

No comments: