May 4, 2010

I ran 26.2 miles!!!

This past weekend was the Flying Pig Marathon in Cincinnati, Ohio. I had been training for this race since January... training was very hard and long but once the race had approached, I wasn't sure that I was completely ready. 26.2 is a long long way to run.
(Me and my friend Kathryn who also ran the Marathon.)

The morning of the race, I was up at 4:15 in the morning to get a shower, eat as much as I could (which was a few bites of a powerbar- my nerves were getting the best of my stomach) and swallow down a cup of coffee.
Geoff drove me downtown to see me off at the starting line before heading over to mile 5 and then meeting my parents at mile 12. (Pretty much what he did for the 1/2 marathon last year) This year however it was raining and I was pretty much soaked before the race even started.

You can see me coming in the pink tank top to the left.

Mile 12 and still smiling. (Thanks to having a cheering section of friends and my family)

I stopped for a photo op with my mom!

I felt pretty good until mile 18 when I started to get a little tired. However, I had my BFF Courtney coming up at mile 20. (She had driven down that morning from Columbus -2 hour drive- to cheer me on!) Miles 22-25 were the hardest since I was tired, my legs hurt and all I could think of was eating cheeseburgers.

The finish line... or finish SWINE.

Thats me right at the finish line with my hands in the air!!! YAY I finished 26.2!!!

I stopped one last time at mile 25 at the last set of toilets and I realize that my thighs had finally had enough and rubbed raw, I was bleeding down my right leg but I was so close I was not going to stop. The crowds at the end were amazing and helped push me through to the end. Crossing the finish line was an amazing feeling. I was so happy that I had actually accomplished my goal- I ran 26.2 miles with a smile on my face. I got my medal, blanket and hobbled through the recovery zone shoving a banana and chips down my throat. Then it was on to meet my friends and family who came out to cheer me on!

Here are my amazing friends who met me at mile 6, 12 and at the finish line!

My parents were at mile 12 and the finish (along with my brother who showed up at the end.)

It took me 5 hours, 8 minutes and 32 seconds to finish the race and I have never been more proud of myself. It's good to know that when you put your mind to something, anything, even when it feels out of reach and impossible- it really CAN be achieved!


Skywaitress said...

Amazing! Great job finishing the race. I can't wait to run a marathon... someday :)

Anonymous said...

Great job! :) I hope that one day I can do this... I'm still on the couch-to-5k program! Anyways, Congrats!

The Friendly Skies said...

Thanks guys!

Tara- you will be able to get there! Enjoy that couch to 5K! That's where I started a few years ago!!! :)

Oh and just remember it's not a challenge if it's not hard!

Brittney said...

Awesome job!! I'm training for my first half-marathon right now. You are inspiring! Have you ever read ?
She's from Cincinnati and has run the Flying Pig marathon a bunch of times now, including last weekend's in the rain and also blogged about it. Check it out :)

The Friendly Skies said...

Brittney, What half are you training for? You are going to looove it! Here is my advice for the race day...
-If you decide to run with an ipod, only put one earbud in. That way you have your music and can enjoy the crowds and all the cheers. Enjoy the race! Take it all in and have fun!

You are going to love it! The races are the best. It's what gets me through all the months of training.

Oh and I totally checked out that blog! Thanks. :)

Aron said...

That is awesome, congrats. I think my knees would die two deaths should I ever try.
Way to go!